Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Vegan Comfort Food

I grew up with a "feeder Mom". By that I mean any problem you had could be solved -- or at least alleviated -- with food. Food was comfort. Food was love. When I told my mom and dad my first husband announced without warning he was leaving me, the first words out of Mom's words were:
Let me get my coffee. Do you want a cookie?

These are troubling times we're living in. No doubt. So whip up a batch of these soft, chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies, grab a glass of soy milk, and feel comforted!

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
(use vegan ingredients)
4 ½ c flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 c Earth Balance margarine
1 ½ c sugar
1 ½ c brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 Tbs flaxseed flour (ground flaxseed) + 12 Tbs water – let sit 2 minutes (= 4 eggs)
4 cups chocolate chips
2 cups chopped nuts (we like pecans)

Mix the above and roll dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place 12 to a cookie sheet (do not grease cookie sheet). Bake at 350 degrees (preheat oven) for 10-12 minutes. Yield: 48 cookies

Reminder: I have two copies of The Echo Within by Robert Benson to give away. To enter the random drawing, please send an e-mail to seewhykinsman@gmail.com. Winners will be drawn on Friday, February 27, 2009. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! They look easy and delicious (my personal criteria for any recipe).

    Thanks for sharing a little "comfort". :)

    Small Footprints
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete