Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In Favor of High Gas Prices


When I was in college many moons ago, I took an Environmental Studies course. One thing my professor told us was if the price of gasoline actually reflected the true cost, including environmental costs, we would be paying about $8.00 a gallon (and remember, that was "many moons ago" dollars). The price really wasn't that outrageous considering gas prices in Europe and elsewhere, but Americans would never stand for it.

It drives me crazy that the Energy Crisis of the 1970s became a forgotten PSA about turning down your thermostats in the winter as soon as the greed of the 1980s rolled around. It drives me crazy that as soon as gasoline prices recently dropped below $2.00, people stopped caring about "green" transportation. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Read the below article by someone far more intelligent than I.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/opinion/28friedman.html

GIVEAWAY: I have one copy of the Never Say Diet book by Chantel Hobbs and her Personal Fitness Trainer journal to give away. Please e-mail your name and mailing address to seewhykinsman@gmail.com to be entered in the random drawing this Friday, January 16th. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment